Thursday, June 4, 2009

Henry W. Hochstattter, Supporter for High Hopes Traumatic Brain Injury Support Group at Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital, from 1979 through Present

My name is Henry W. Hochstatter. I am a TBI supporter for High Hopes at Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital. The month of June in 2009 reminds me of the first time I attended the High Hopes Support Group for Traumatic Brain Injury, since my tragic accident with a semi-truck on March 23, 1979, along Addison Road, in Addison, Illinois.

I am the founding member of the High Hopes TBI Support Group at Marianjoy in Wheaton, since Dr. Jay Subarau established the High Hopes Traumatic Brain Injury Support Group at Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital.

I was still in a wheelchair at the time, so I was wheeled over to the Cafeteria to attend the first High Hopes TBI meeting, downstairs at the Marianjoy Center. The first High Hopes meeting started at 7:00 p.m. in the evening, on the second Tuesday, in June 1979.

High Hopes TBI Support Group promotes hope for the future, while thinking of positive thoughts and ideas for recovery. To me, High Hopes represents a TBI support group in hopes that TBI patients do better on their journey to recovery.

Since my traumatic brain injury in 1979, I had broken my armcast on the right side at Marianjoy. I remember being on a wheelchair and learning to walk outside, while watching the mallard ducks outside the Marianjoy Rehabilitation Center. In 2009, I celebrate my 30th anniversary from recovery of a traumatic brain injury with treatment and rehabilitation at Marianjoy Rehabilitation Healthcare Center in Wheaton, Illinois, USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment